The Modi Government has approved a plan to build 34 new logistics parks in India. It is also investing almost 2 Lakh crores for it. Some of the areas selected for Phase-1 are Bengaluru, Chennai, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Surat, Nagpur and Vijayawada.
How will it help in bringing down overall logistics cost:
- Optimization of warehouses to reduce burden of private companies.
- Multi-modal transport- clubbing rail, road and airways for seamless movement of freight across all states.
- Logistics Park will also provide value added services like customs clearance, bonded storage yards, warehouse management services, quarantine zones and testing facilities.
- Increase in the movement of freight transportation will reduce logistics costs by almost half.
- Logistics parks will also have provisions for final assembly, grading, sorting, labelling, packaging activities and return management.
- As per Nitin Gadkari (Hon’ble Transport Minister): “Logistics Parks will act as freight aggregation and distribution hubs and enable long haul freight movement.”
By Kanika Adlakha